Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Great Pumpkins of Milton - Glass of Course 10/31/06

Milton is well known for its Pumpkin Festival and its a West Virginia tradition to decorate for fall with pumpkins. They are everywhere.
Martha Stewart is asking folks to send in there favorite pumpkin photos.I sent Martha three photos - My favorite pumpkin photos are of GLASS PUMPKINS.


f you haven't been to the BLENKO GLASS Visitor center and Gift Shop now is a great time to go. The pumpkins are on sale. There is also a 'neat' display of pumpkin yard art, and inside the VC you'll find pumpkins of all colors and sizes. You don't know this - - but I am a very frugal person. This frugality and my love of BLENKO lead to and my thinking about glass ie BLENKO pumpkins buying. The thought process goes likes this - a glass pumpkin is about $22 and a fresh pumpkin is $12 - $20. . . . But with care the glass pumpkin will last a life time. Therefore I am saving lots of money. I still buy the occasional real pumpkin. There is one on my front porch as I write this. I enjoy carving jack - 0-laterns and those traditions as much as the next 22 year old, but I also like buying Blenko Pumpkins (each year the pumpkins change just a bit) and enjoy unwrapping them and remembering the selection process and the year they were purchased.


Last week a 'surprise' package arrived with a glass pumpkin from Osburn Modern Glass . It's a sheer orange fluorescent Pumpkin -designed and made by Dave Osborn. Osburn was for over 30 years a Blenko employee, he retired an opened a small hand crafted glass studio in Milton just up the road from Blenko.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

TOTALLY AWESOME PHOTOS!

Anonymous said...

Where in milton is osburn glass?