Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Monday, February 05, 2007

Readers Ask - Who is YOUR Favorite Designer

Winslow Anderson . . . but you must let me tell you about the talented designers who worked at Blenko............
Who is your favorite Blenko designer? This is the #1 question, I am asked . The answer is complicated.

I admire Wayne Husted body of work at Blenko - and it is most sought after by collectors. Wayne is innovative, his designs from the 50s are still being produced at Blenko, I have a list of 25 Husted items I want to buy when I have money.


John Nickerson is one of the nicest men I have ever met and his 'after' Blenko work is remarkable. He has won many awards and I believe his work is under priced and will become highly collectible (meaning buy it now). As I write this, I am looking at a highly faceted multi color perfume bottle he created for me four years ago. Everyone who sees the bottle is fascinated. Each piece is different and John spends hours sanding and polishing each piece to perfection.


Joel Philip Myers, is know as the father of this movement, his Blenko pieces - most especially the JPM signed ones are sough after. Myers after Blenko work can be found in many high end galleries. Myers left Blenko and went on to develop the glass art department of a major university. He is the least accessible of the Blenko Designers.

Hank M. Adams was the Blenko designer who did all the Faces/ Heads that I collect. He is the only living Blenko Designer I haven't interviewed in person. Adams work after Blenko has won many awards. Adams teaches at the Wheaton Museum and continues to produce one of a kind glass sculptures. Admas is young and handsome - so after I meet him he may become my favorite designer.

Winslow Anderson was the first Blenko Glass designer - he went on to design for Lennox, retired and moved back to Milton. Many of Winslows' designs are still 'in the line' - being made today. All Anderson's designs are 'classic'. Winslow is now over 80 and one of the most 'witty', charming men - - I often find myself thinking of how handsome he must have been. Winlslow is probably my 'favorite' BLENKO designer. I am drawn to classic
pieces, I like simple form. Winslow's drawing and designs will never 'go out of fashion'.

Note: For more information about Blenko Designers - check out the BLENKO PROJECT,Blenko Museum, and Blenko Collectors Society web sites.

No comments: