Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Only 2 days until Christmas Shopping



This is a 6 day vacation from Dental School - I've spent a good portion of this time removing boxes from my parents garage (so my Dad can again park both cars in the garage) - Boxes of trolls - anyone remember trolls - I collected these in grade school and judging from the size of my collection, my Uncles must have spent a fortune on trolls. Also a large collection of Pogs (bottle caps) anyone remember collecting these bottle liners? I had two boxes, some in plastic liners and some declaring themselves 'collectors series' - again it all went to the trash. Only the boxes of Barbie dolls and accessories survived - and they are now at the Goodwill Store.
Why you must be thinking .is Hillary sharing this? Hillary who hates self disclosure. . . actually during the cleaning my thoughts turned to BLENKO, if instead of Pogs, and Trolls I had been given simple little pieces of Blenko - or a water bottle collection had been started for me by one of my indulgent Uncles. Well the water bottles have increased in value - the trolls and pogs were placed on the curb for the City Trash truck.
This year I am again buying gift for my friends children and young cousins
However, I will be buying gifts MADE IN WEST VIRGINIA . A special ornament or small figurine, or a trip to visit the West Virginia Crafts at Oglebay or Tamerack. As responsible adults we need to educate our children about the wonderful craftsmen here in West Virginia. Plant the seed.
Happy Shopping! . NOTE: This .photo is BLENKO it was blown by Shorty Finley and was available for purchase in the Visitors Center - duirng the same time I was collecting Trolls! Blenko always has a collection of unique small items - turles, frogs, snails, figures something to excite most anyone. Plan to bring the children in your life for a visit - see Glass being made - allow your child to connect to Made In West Virginia!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this item for sale? May I order it on line?
Martha Sizemore
Delbarton, W. Va.
answer here please

Anonymous said...

Whimsical figurine.
I want one!
BlenkonCalif

Anonymous said...

Hillary
can you convince Blenko to reproduce this item? They have some things in the past. Won't you try?
Blenkoncalif

Anonymous said...

Just today found this post
I collected trolls in the 80s also.
My nana also collected beannie babies.
Is Blenko making the items pictured?