Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Sunday, February 02, 2014

Worth going back

 

One of these decanters has an interesting story to go along with it's joining my
collection. Both are examples of a Pre-designer Blenko #37 decanters in Ruby.
The decanter on the left I happened upon when Shelley and I did some antique
shopping the first weekend in December while my daughter Kayla was taking the
SAT test on a Saturday. Shelley and I were rushing about trying to take in a
couple of malls when I stumbled across this piece. The stopper threw me off
because I had never seen the Teardrop shape on a Blenko #37 decanter. I had only
seen, up to that point, the flame stopper that that most people are familiar
with or the older version of the flame stopper shown on the right. Even though
the piece had the pontil mark and the wonderful Blenko Ruby coloration that runs
almost to black I could not bring myself to purchase the piece that day. Upon
returning home I started doing more research and ran across the catalog picture
in the Eason Eige reference book showing the older stopper design. Now my
trouble was that I would not be heading back toward Dallas for several weeks. We
finally got back to Dallas last week and I got down to trying to find this
wonderful piece. I need to add here that when I first stumbled across the piece
it was buried among a table full of Anchor Hocking Royal Ruby glassware. When I
found it again it was the only piece of Ruby glass remaining in the sellers
booth. The best part was adding this missing link piece for only $28.00.
Needless to say it was well worth the trip to go back.

Hope you enjoy,
Bruce

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

LOVELY LOVELY LOVELY GLASS AND SHE MUST BE DYNAMIC WIFE TO KNOW WHAT MAKES HER HUBBY HAPPY.
I DID DIVORCE LAW FOR TEN YEARS - A LITTLE GIFT HERE AND THERE AND LISTENING ARE KEY TO GOOD LONG MARRIAGES.
MOUNTAIN RITA