Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Blenko The People - Perry Bays, Blower

Perry Bays - Blower / Asst. Foreman

Blenko Glass Company is all about the people. Each shop is made up of a group of very talented men. Men who work as a unit, each almost magically knowing when to open a mold, pick up glass (the exact amount of glass),how long to blow in a mold, etc.

Perry came to Blenko in 1990 -. He worked in Antique for nine years. He now holds the titles of Assistant Foreman and Blower.

The men who work at Blenko - like many men from West Virginia grew up fishing and hunting. Perry reports that he also spends a great deal of his free time hunting and fishing but he prefers spending his 'free time' in family activities. Time with his two children (18 & 14) and his wife. Much of this time is spent in school/church activities and with horses, Perry raises horses, he and his family enjoy riding and caring for these beautiful animals at their home in Hamlin.
He doesn't collect Blenko or any other glass - but he does have Blenko items - only items that he has made. (I'd love to have photos!)

Perry said " Working with glass brings me great satisfaction, I enjoy everyone I work with, the Blenko family has been very good to me, the company is an excellent one to work for, and I enjoy the feeling of making something beautiful out of nothing". . .. . every day we do something different. . .no two days are the same". . . .not everyone can say, I work with people I like, and I do something I love....and I produce a beautiful product."

You are so very right Perry. Very few people have this kind of job satisfaction!

When you visit the Blenko Glass Factory in Milton West Virginia and are doing the self guided tour - Perry Bays chair is the one of the left nearest the fence. hjh