Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Blenko Glass Angels

In 2007  I tried to learn the origin of the Blenko Glass Angel.  I own a dozen angels,  each one is a little different .  The angel in the photo above is the most common -  the ones like this I own were made by Les Womack - a retired Blenko Foreman and glass worker  who returned for many years at Holiday Time to create the Angels.
Long Story - Short is  Blenko workers made Angels as gifts for one another as far back as the 70s perhaps earlier but I could find documentation of and see Angels made in the 70s.
Some angels had long flowing hair -  most of the older ones were crystal.
Since the mid 2000  Blenko has offered the angel pictured In the gift shop and online shop.
Angels are useful as gifts all year long.
When my friends are having difficult times -  I either send a Ron Hinkle Pigs Fly, or a Blenko Angel .
Two years ago my entire family had Xmas dinner in a hospital room - with my Uncle Gale who suffers mangle cell lymphoma.
The Blenko Angel was featured prominently on the dresser in his hospital room.  A sign of Hope!
A sign of a ' common love'  our family has for  the Blenko Factory.
This year -as he has for 20 years my Uncle Gale joined Uncle Barry to stand in line for the BLENKO GLASS WV Birthday Vase. 
Blenko Angels - are like Pringle Potato Chips -  You can't have JUST ONE!


No comments: