Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

First Blenko - You Respond

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Do you recall your 1st piece of Blenko Glass?": I had had a dream about finding an expensive piece of Blenko at a yard sale and was out on a nice summer day having a Harley ride in the beautiful Columbia Gorge in WA State when there were signs everywhere for the sales and my boyfriend asked me if we should stop, I said yes and at the very first yard sale was the most beautiful piece of Blenko I had ever seen(I had been researching it on the internet and on e-bay for some time)I hadn't seen that specific model but recognized it as a Joel Myers by the design and era that it looked to be from.I knew it had to be mine so I went to the cash machine and offered her forty dollars for it and took it home! It ended up being a rare Myers piece that was produced only one year- the 1965 Tangerine colored "Butterflies" decanter with stopper intact and is worth upwards to a thousand dollars or more to the right collector! I had a heart attack when I had found out about its rarety and that my dream had come true....it was especially valuable to me as I had recently lost my fiance (and childs father)to cancer and had had my beach cabin where we had lived together trying to renovate burglarized shortly after he passed and had no possessions left to my name including my glass collection(just old italian bottles and such)so Blenko has been a dream come true and has been therapy for me....My next dream is to demolish the cabin and build a new one in its place and let the patients and their families from the Seattle area cancer hospitals use it as a respite from the hospital and to take patients who are well enough on beach vacations.I might sell the collection if it meant achieving this dream!I now have over twenty pieces of Tangerine Blenko and no longer feel possessionless and are focusing on "the cabin project" and will post a picture of my collection to share my joy of Blenko!And hopefully will be posting youtube videos to keep all of my benefactors up on the progress of the cabin for cancer patients..... Publish this comment. Reject this comment. Moderate comments for this blog. Thank you - we'd love to post photos of your Blenko. HJH

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Preserving Blenko artifacts is a nice decorative way of enjoying mere money(and will be for many years to come)that has never been as shiny in my windowsill or admired by as many people when visiting my house....someone should look at ones own life a little more closely when telling other to "get one" and just enjoy the beauty there is out there amidst the ugly(and try not to contribute to the latter in actions or in words).