Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Blenko GLass

These items were blown by Milton, WV Glass worker SHORTY FINLEY.









If you've heard me speak - or you read this blog - you know I am enamoured with Winslow Anderson, Wayne Husted*, Joel Myers,* John Nickerson*, and the craftsmen who worked with them Les Womack*, Shorty Finley, Charlie Chapman, and the list goes on.....but today I want to share a set of photos from the Wheaton Museum of pieces my dear friend Shorty Finley who still lives in Milton made in 1983. Shorty worked very close with Don Shepperd. Don SHepperd was a designer at BLENKO. Shorty is always very quick to say " I ain't No Designer but I could and still can make what ever they draw." Shorty reports he and the men he worked with had 'great respect and a wonderful relationship ' with the designers. Blenko folks have always worked together to make great products. hjh




Note: * denotes age much lower than 80.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hillary
This is my first time visiting your website. I am truely fascinated by the variety of ways glass can be moulded into various art expressions. Can I ask what drew you towards this art form? And, if it's not too much to ask, can you direct me to some websites that can make me better understand the process involved?
Oh, btw, I'm Sameer - Med Psych resident at WVU, Charleston Div and my email id is img_008@yahoo.com.
I'd appreciate any response from you.
Thanks
sb

Heart of Glass said...

Dr. Sameer,
I would recommend the
Blenko Museum website blenkoproject website
and blenko collector website
I have a porfolio of information if this doesn't answer your ?s....
if you will send a snail mail address to theblenkoproject@aol.com I'll send a CD rom of the Blenko glass making process - this is a new item just produced - I'll be blogging about it soon.
Thanks for your interest.
Hope this helps.
HJH

Anonymous said...

HANDSOME DR INTERESTED IN WV GLASS
I WANT THAT EMAIL ADDRESS!

Anonymous said...

a shrik is what blenko collectors need - hillary - perhaps all blenko collectors can apply with sb for group rates.
tom in huntington

Anonymous said...

Ms. Homburg
Are these piece currently on display at the Museum? Do they have a lot of WV Glass, and do you consider a trip to this museum for viewing WV GLass a good investment?
P Clendenin

Heart of Glass said...

They are no currently on display and while I would recommend visitng the website and phoning to ask the curator your questions prior to a planned visit
I think this particular site is a great place for any glass collector to spend time - check out the website - remember that I can't do links...
Wheaton Village or Wheaton Museuam
in New Jersey