Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Ask me the questions, Bridge-Keeper: I'm Not Afraid."



BLENKO / TEQUILA SUNRISE GLASS


The Question: HOW DO THEY DO THAT?


The color is created by something like layering. It's called casing. The gatherer gets one color, the covers that with another color and so one. If I'm not mistaken Tequila Sunrise is started with an Opaline yellow/green, this is then coated with ruby, which will be reheated to make tangerine. You can usually see the clear tangerine cased color at the bottom. Occasionally a blue rim or decoration is added..

ANSWER PROVIDED BY A TEXAS BLENKO GLASS COLLECTOR


Carl Sagan ' We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers'


Chinese Proverb 'He who ask a question is a fool for five minutes, he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.


Thomas Merton 'Stop asking yourself questions that have no meaning. Or if they have, you'll find out when you need to --find out both the questions and the answers.


James Thurber 'It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.



"Ask me the questions, Bridge-Keeper: I'm not afraid." Lancelot



Please continue to send your emails with questions - I DON'T know the answers, but many BLENKO COLLECTORS do have the knowledge and are willing to share that information. I am willing to ask your questions and seek answers. We all want to learn and grow together, learning about WEST VIRGINIA GLASS and MADE IN WEST VIRGINIA and West Virginia Craftsmen is a lifelong process. It should not be a lonely journey. One needs the company of good friends. Please continue to ask questions and join in. Hillary

6 comments:

soloman said...

first time writer - long time reader Thnx 4 the info.

boredcom said...

I have lots of ? about glass
will you be at the Morgan Hotel
Glass meeting this weekend?

Heart of Glass said...

Bored.com
please send your questions to
theblenkoproject@aol.com I'll try to find answers for you.
thanks
Hillary

Anonymous said...

? is it expensive to make?
is it more valuable than regular colors?
should I collect?
tell me these things.

Heart of Glass said...

Lots of questions!
You would make the PERFECT
Blenko Collectors Society Member - they meet again in August
check out the website - I think the membership is about $50 and you get a glossy newslettere 4 times a year (worth more than $50)
plus a network of people who have the answers! IF your interest in NOT Blenko but all WV then I suggest the WV GLASS MUSEUM - if you need links email me..
RE: Collecting - I think buy what you LOVE and want to LIVE with
without THINKING will it be Valuable later...
Hope this helps.
Hillary

jedijawa said...

Somehow I missed this Monty Python reference the first time thought. :-)