Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

T. S. Elliott - What I Love . . . .


T.S. Elliott said 'What I Love Determines How I Love.'
This is also true of BLENKO GLASS Collectors. There are collectors who collect only one color, one designer, one year, one line, items from one catalogue, those who have warehouses full of Blenko.

The Texas Blenko Collectors - I always seem to envy the Texas Collectors, they have a well established study group, a definite structure, an established schedule, they work together, they share information, they enjoy glass and one another. ' They' are what belonging to a good glass group is all about. Unselfish love, wanting the whole to be better than the individual, or knowing the whole will be improved as the individual grows.

Many folks start collecting BLENKO because of another collection, perhaps you collect OWLS, RAMS, PIGS, Squirrels, Barn yard Animals, Frogs, Angels . . . . you get the IDEA . . . BLENKO makes all of these . . . .and so many other items.
In my own life, I find sometimes the 'search for' the item is such fun. For nearly 10 years I had 'looked' for a black top hat, and a Blenko water bottle with a handle. Last year Karin and Tim Alonzo were kind enough to introduce me to their friend who was selling a water bottle with handle ( I d love another), and this year Billy at Dixie's phoned to say he 'found' a Black Top Hat! It's exciting to find ' Blenko'. But the search is so much fun.

If you don't collect Blenko. Think about getting started. Before you buy, learn as much as you can, so you don't become a warehouse. You should have knowledge, know what you want to buy, and what you should expect to pay. Then go out and look for the item. Ask questions and be open to making new friends along the way. Some time ago I posted a list of antique / resale / glass stores in the Huntington area (sent in by readers) I expect to have some free time next week and while I won't be driving to Huntinton, I will go to visit the Purple Moon on Capitol Street (new to me) a resale store whose owner seems to be channeling my inner child (simple line decor and vintage blenko).

Remember the BLENKO COLLECTORS SOCIETY will be holding their annual meeting, Milton, West Virginia in August. You don't have to be a member to go - you may find yourself wanting to join after you visit with these folk.


hjh
Photo of figurines made by: Randy Rider, Shorty Finley, Joel Myers, Les Womack, Charlie Chapman, and JarFly

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

HILLARY
WHERE CAN WE BUY THESE ITEMS ARE THEY CURRENTLY BEING MADE? DID NOT SEE ANYTHING LIKE THIS AT THE VISITORS CENTER.
MARY JO BLEVINS
PUBLISH THE ANSWER PLEASE

Anonymous said...

You mentioned not liking health insurance my husband and I are both doctors and we couldn't survive without 3rd party payment. When you are older and wiser you will appreciate the system.
We also collect glass and enjoy your blog.
Our son is a recent Med School Graduate he works here in Huntington with his father. We are sending our address and phone number to the email address on the blog.

Heart of Glass said...

The items in this photo are from my own collection. Rabbits are currently offered at the Visitors Center. Frogs, turtles, and many other creatures are made. I recommend frequent visits to the Visitors Center in Milton.
For 'older' items check EBAY and Vintage stores.
hjh

Anonymous said...

OK I want to start collecting but U tell me what to start looking 4.
Jim
296 6701 phone anytime

Heart of Glass said...

Dr. Douglas,
I certainly did not mean to offend you or anyone in the medical community with my comments about insurance companies. It remains my belief - in an ideal world we would pay individually for our health care. You are correct I am both young and naive.
I welcome the articles, you may send them c/o the newspaper.
thanks.
Hillary

Anonymous said...

are U sure Elliott said said
I think that is a Sanders quote
Elizabeth Conner

rumblefish74 said...

Hi there, pretty lady. I´m writing from Brasil. I typed "T. S. Elliott" on google and it led me to your blog. I also happen to have my own and I´m looking for a nice poem to dedicate to a certain girl. Any suggestions? It´s a shame my blog is in portuguese, but there are some images you might like. Visit and drop me a line, I´d be grateful. Keep up the good writing.