Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Blenko - Always A Reflection of Quality


When I was about 10 years old Mr. Bill Blenko gave me this RR emblem (see photo) it seems while in a conversation with my parents he learned I coveted the Rolls Royce auto, cutting out photos, etc., probably after having seen one in a movie.
I was delighted with the clear glass free standing RR - it sat atop my bookshelf for a decade, while the intensity of my desire to own a Rolls Royce faded, I kept the small glass RR .

It seems behind each 'unusual' Blenko item there is a story. Just recently I learned the story of my 'RR.' Mr. Walter Blenko of Pittsburgh Mr. WH (Bill) Blenko Jr 's Cousin is the proud owner of several Rolls Royce autos and is a member of the Rolls Royce Club of America. Mr Walter Blenko commissioned Blenko Glass Company ( after all his grandfather was the founder) to make the RR as a gift for each member who attended the national RRCA meeting.

Although a very generous and thoughtful gift from Mr. Walter Blenko this little glass keep sake is probably long forgotten by most attending the RRCA meeting that year. It now sits on the dresser in my college home, a reminder of a simpler time , when having a Rolls Royce on your bulletin board was cool. hjh

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ITS STILL COOL HILLARY
T. Ellis

Anonymous said...

what is the other emblem? Looks medical? Is it old or new?

Anonymous said...

hillary we have the RR in Logan County I want the Blenko RR
where can i get 1?
terri ellis

Heart of Glass said...

Ms. Ellis
These were a 'special run' a decade ago - other than on ebay - or a resell shop. I haven't a clue. hjh
Do you belong to RRCA? Consider Asking a member this question.

Heart of Glass said...

Ms. Ellis
I checked and no one knows where to get another -
send me a photo copy of your auto registraton and I'll mail the RR to you. (theblenkoproject@aol.com)
It probably deserves to be in a home with a REAL RR.
hjh