Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Karma



Karma I received this email... and it made me think about KARMA!


Hilary
I can never find good Blenko at flea markets or shops.
I always pay too much on EBAY and when I go to the Visitor Center they hve nothing I like
My Karma is bad. Do you hve suggestions.
Special stores in Huntington tri state area that might be good?
Something to change my Karma?
Nothing good happens to me. Also when you write about Valentine's day it makes me SAD
no one to give me Valentine card or candy.
Mylinda - Milton, W. Va.

Karma is a Sanskrit word meaning "action," though it's often used to refer to both an action and its results. Literature seems to reveal KARMA isn't luck or destiny - luck suggest randomness; destiny, a lack of choice.
Mylinda, a quote from Buddhist teacher Mahasi Sayadaw " We are at liberty to create fresh KARMA that leads toward either our progress or our downfall." Start fresh today, w/o negative thoughts. I doubt he (Sayadaw) was referring to shopping for glass - and it appears your negative feelings run strong.

May I suggest (1) Milton Flea Market - most every collector has a Milton Flea Market discovery to speak about (2) Milton Goodwill - (3) Glass Shops/ Antique stores on the main avenue in Milton. for glass shopping. For your other complaint - I would suggest volunteering, and becoming active in groups. Positive energy attracts positive energy!
The photo is of Ms B (Blenko) she is now 3.4 years old. B spent the first 17 months of her life being abused - was it KARMA that brought B into my life - and me into B's? SMALL PAWS RESCUE www.smallpawsrescue.org and other rescue groups need your help with the thousands of throw away fluffs.
My observations of life lead me to believe that people who are open and giving seem to have happy lives.
" According to the seed that's sown, so is the fruit you reap
therefrom.
Doer of good with gather good
Doer of evil, evil reaps..." SAMYUITTA NIKAYA
Ps - Regarding Glass hunting - knowledge is important - consider investing $50 into a BLENKO COLLECTORS SOCIETY
membership and learn about glass ...then when you run across that 'special item' you will immediately recognize it as valuable. Thank you for reading the Herald Dispatch Heart of Glass Blog.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Puppy
Need a Vet?
May I offer my services?
Solomon

Anonymous said...

MYLINDA
GET A LIFE.

WV Janis said...

Hillary:

Great comment for Mylinda. To reiterate what Hillary suggested, radiate positive energy and some will come your way. You are so lucky to be in Milton near so many opportunities to purchase glass and be around people who love BLENKO glass. If you join the Collector's Society, and approach everyone with a smile, you'll make friends for life. In a speech class in undergraduate school, we studied "background homophily." Loosely translated, this means "lover of same." People who love the same things usually make good friends (BLENKO Collectors folks).


Find people who love the same things you do and you will have people to send Valentines to. Send Valentines to a nursing home.

Here's to Karma! Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day.

(West Virginia) Janis

bridgett said...

Your definition of Karma is incorrect.
Check wiki

sweetdoc said...

Definiton of Karma if difficult, but as I know it, the way Hilary has used Karma in this article is correct.
I had my co worker a Doc from Bombay read and he confirms my opinion.
Hilary I had a thought about Blenko Glass and Karma. When I visited the employees were so kind
and helpful perhaps Karma is what keeps Blenko alive when as you reported many glass factories are closed.
Just an observation.

lewisdvdphd said...

glasslady
what in your past life has lead to or resulted in Sol's infatuation?

Unknown said...

Hi Hillary,
Time and again you have always surprised me with your interest, dedication and diverse knowledge.

I am more amazed by your understanding of life at this age and ability to correlate and connecting back to our daily activities are commendable..

I grew up reading Sanskrit in school thats what "Karma" means "Action" - your action controls the outcome which everyone has to bear either in this life or the next life..
so the gist of it is if you do good, good will happen and if you do bad, bad will happen to you

Ram

Hyderabad Daily Photo said...

Ram beat me to it! Precisely my thoughts - I am amazed by your understanding at this age.

Regarding generating good karma, this is one of my favorite ones. The Buddha said, "If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving and sharing, the would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of selfishness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared, if there were someone to receive their gift." -Itivuttaka, 26

bridgett said...

The Indian delegation has spoken re: Karma.
I stand corrected.
Now Ive another ?, Ram and Hyphoto speak of you as if you are a baby.
How old are they? How old are you?

Heart of Glass said...

Solomon
My fluffs have a great vet. Declining your offers.
WVJanis
Thank you for the always thoughtful and thought provoking comments.
Bridget / Sweet Doc
My knowledge of everything - is limited, I appreciate your comments.
Lewis- You are so funny, I am recommending a second career as stand up comic.
Ram
Your positive comments are often the highlight of my week.
Hyderabad
Thank you for reading, for your comment. Your photos are terrfic.
Bridgett
Dunno age of Ram or Hyderabad . I'm 23

Anonymous said...

sI am glad they did not want the age of roundhead. Hillary has been raised well and is surrounded by family with this same Karma.Wait until they hear about what you did over Easter Break.

andreerods said...

Solomon
May I as a male not born in the US sug
gest you make positive comments about the dog.
Women appreciate men who praise their cats and dogs and fish.____________
Hillary, Miss B grows more lov ely with each photo, she looks very healthy and happy. Lucky dog who see you daily.
Peoples throw these dogs away, May I ask why? This is confusing for me.
AE