Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Rite of Spring at the Clay Center


While home for the weekend I went to the Clay Center to view Canstruction. For those of you unfamiliar with Using thousands of canned goods, seven local teams of engineers, contractors and architects build miniature architectural marvels using canned food items.The second annual Canstruction Event ran through Jan. 20, 2008, after which all of the cans were boxed up and shipped over to Covenant House’s food pantry.

While at the Clay, I couldnt pass up the chance to see Rite of Spring: An Installation by Chris Dutch and Robin Hammer (which will be on display January 12 through March 30, 2008).

Charleston artists Chris Dutch and Robin Hammer (www.dutchhammer.com) created the new installation interpreting their impression of the ballet, music and history of Igor Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring. A survey of their collaborative work will also be on display in an adjoining space.
The instillation includes three-dimensional, life-size figures, wall mounted sculptures, and even whimsical furniture made from wood, glass and metal.

MUSEUM GALLERY HOURS: Wed-Sat, 10am - 5pm Sun, noon - 5pm CLOSED: Mon & Tues

Tickets to the Galleries are $5 for children and $6.50 for adults.

*photos from dutchhammer.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy the Clay Center. The last time I visited was to see Vince Gill. Now There is a man who can sing. His recording's are nothing like hearing him sing live. I could set out the rest of my life just listening to him sing. I would like to see 3-Doors down get to perform there and Allison Krauss. Best place I have been too for listening to music, the accoustic are just right. Like the colors of Blenko when the sun shine's thou it. You get to capture the rays for a moment and it brings good happy feelings to your being. Give Bea a puppy hug for me. She is alittle powder puff.

Anonymous said...

Hilary
I was also in Charleston and would have been your tour guide to the Clay Center, I am on the board.
Solomon

Anonymous said...

Was surprised to learn much of the GLASS in the Hammer exhibit was BLENKO did you know this? Ms. Glasslady.
Check it out! Its all WVa Glass a place called wismach and Blenko.
Your Blenko!
Solomon

andreerods said...

GlassWoman.
I have returned!
Goodlooking art. Whats up with you?
New man? Reading the blog but I can't tell, since I have been away your writing is void of personal
info. I am Back!
Wonderful experience, I will send an email to blenkoproject.
Are you now doing clinic or internship off campus?
AE