Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Saturday, January 13, 2007

From the Inbox

We oftens receive mail from readers, who have wonderful stories about Blenko. Letters about how Blenko has been a part of their lives. Dale Harding was kind enough to allow me to share his letter about growing up in Milton w/ Blenko.
"Growing up in the shawdow of the Blenko Glass Plant/A feeling of Family

I have such a deep love and respect for our Blenko heritage here in Milton, West Virginia. My family moved to Milton, in 1957 from Sissonville, and we moved into a house on Dry Creek, about five hundred feet from the Blenko Visitor Center. Our neighbor, Clyde Scott worked at Blenko Glass, and during those days family members were allowed to fish in the Blenko Pond. Soon I found myself fishing on the Pier at Blenko, with the Scott family. At that time I met Mrs. Marion Blenko, and she took me under her wing, and would call me "her boy". So as a twelve year old boy, in new surroundings, not knowing anyone in this area, the Blenko crew became my first friends in Milton. Many days I would go over and just stand and watch the glass craftsmen at work and the whole process amazed me. After returning to Milton after my four year stay in the United States Air Force, and a year in Vietnam, I had a horrific automobile accident and was in a hospital bed in my living room for over a year, Mrs. Marion Blenko heard of my accident and sent me a Blenko Glass, "to drink my milk from", that will help heal your broken bones, she said.

I have a large family of cousins, we all grew up like brothers and sisters, and they are scattered all over the United States, we all promote Blenko Glass and most of us are collectors, my house looks like a Blenko Gift shop, and I promote Blenko at every chance I get, as I feel that we are so lucky to have Blenko in our backyard and this is an art form, that just cant ever be lost.

In 2004 our Milton High School Class, had our 40th Reunion at Pumpkin Park, across the road from Blenko Glass. Bill Blenko was our classmate for several years before he enrolled and attended Military School. I wrote Richard Blenko and told him about our upcoming reunion, and ask if he could provide a few pieces of Blenko Glass, for awards to be given to our faculty members, and he was so gracious and supplied not only awards for the faculty members but several pieces to be given as door prizes.

During my years in the Military service, I have traveled all over the world, and every where I go, I see Blenko Glass. On my way to Vietnam, we landed in Japan for refueling, and while in the airport, I walked into the gift shop and there was a shelf devoted to Blenko glass, for an instant I felt like I was near home. From where I stand, the Blenko family has been truly Ladies and Gentlemen.
Dale Harding being presented Blenko Glass from Richard Blenko for the MHS Class of 1964, 40th Reunion that was held at Pumpkin Park in Milton.



Thank you Dale for the photos and letter. hjh





No comments: