Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Shorty Finley

Hilary,



I'm new to your blog, new to the tri state, and new to WVa Glass. We came to

Huntington for my husbands' post doc training. We are a young couple with

limited disposable income. I enjoy your blog and several of the other Herald blogs.


My questions are:

Is there a local Blenko or WV glass collector group?

Where do you shop for the older glass?

can you show examples of Shorty Finley 's glass and is it all signed? If not how

do I know who made the glass?


Do you have an email address I might use to send photo for identification?

Thank you
Ann D


Ann- Lots of questions. No local collectors group - we are however toying with the idea of asking readers to get together either on line or at Taylor's Bookstore - if you are interested - keep your eyes open for a post in December re: getting together.


I do not shop for Blenko or glass. If I did shop I'd shop Purple Moon in Charleston Blenko Glass in Milton, The Antique Malls in South Charleston or Nitro, Lucy 's outside of Huntington on Route 60, Connie's on Clinton St in Ashland. Kissin Kate's ( located now in So Charleston), I would also phone Mountaineer Auction House and ask to be notified if / when they offer Blenko.

Shorty Finley signed all the glass he made on his lunch hour only this glass. Blenko did not allow craftsmen to sign the glass sold in the Milton store. Shorty then privately sold ( as did many of the more talented Blenko workers) this glass. Shorty currently lives in Milton .


I am loading a photo of the Shorty Finley ( glass made by Shorty on his lunch hour) glass that I own.




Good Luck! Collecting Blenko is a great way to meet new people, do more listening than shopping and your collection will increase in value. Learn more about Shorty Finley www.blenkoproject.og Blenko Project.

1 comment:

sweetdoc said...

This photo is in the wrong place.
This is a Blenko piece
and I do think SF made this
but it is not a lunch hour photo.
Please post photos of your SF collection.