Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Monday, July 09, 2007

IN THE BLENKO OF AN EYE - PERFECTION!

IN THE BLENKO OF AN EYE - PERFECTION!

The greatest of faults is to be conscious of none" - Thomas Carlyle.


"You cannot run away from weakness; you must some time fight it out or perish; and if that be so, why not now, and where you stand?" - Robert Louis Stevenson.



"Know your major defect. Every talent is balanced by a fault, and if you give in to it, it will govern you like a tyrant. You can begin to overthrow it by paying heed to it: begin to conquer it by identifying it. Pay it the same attention as those who reproach you for it. To master yourself, you must reflect upon yourself. Once this imperfection has surrendered, all others will follow" - Baltasar Gracian.



Recently I wrote about the new BLENKO GLASS LINE - On Sunday we ran PHOTOS of the NEW LINE...

The comments about the NEW LINE were almost all positive, but I didn't react well to the one or two that were not.

Henry Halem called me "BLENKO CHEERLEADER" for a long time Science Nerd
this was not a compliment....and while I am indeed a very vocal advocate for Blenko Glass and West Virginia Craftsmen. The comment by Mr. Halem lead me to concede; perhaps due to a character flaw I actually find the flaws in Blenko glass to be delightful - the marks made by the tools, the occasional air bubble, the rough pontail etc.
It's an age old questions - Which comes first the head or the heart? When a new object intrudes into our horizons, do we know it first, and then we like it, or do we like it first, for how could we possibley like or dislike something before we know it? I have no answer for this riddle - but -
I find myself always loving BLENKO!

Below are the comments from the post -which lead to the self reflection.

Anonymous said...
HillaryI do not like thesenew designsThe victoria looks a biglike older glass.Solomon
6:37 AM, July 05
Hillary J Homburg said...
SolomonTake off the surgical maskturn on the lights and look atthe pictures again - or better yet - don't.Do show the site to your Mom and Grandmother, you mentioned they both love glass and enjoy the arts.Thank you for your comments, the line you mention is suppose to be retro (older) look.Keep reading, and telling others about BLENKO GLASS.Hillary
7:49 AM, July
Henry Halem said...
Very pedestrian designs. In a word dull. The Victoria line is a riff on Roman and Middle Eastern temple glass but has some potential. Hillary, while you're obviously a cheerleader for Blenko Glass, I dare say your critique of Solomons posting is unfair. He has a right to express himself without being criticized for an honest opinion that was solicited by you. Henry Halem
12:08 PM, July 05, 2007
Hillary J Homburg said...
Solomon,Henry Halem, professor, glass designer, author and my friendbelieves I owe you an apology.Solomon, please accept my apology - my reply to your comment was less than gracious. Your opinion and your unedited comments are always welcome.Thank you Mr. Halem for 'calling my hand' on the comment to Solomon.HJH
3:59 PM, July 05, 2007
Anonymous said...
I am sure the good professor would agree that most designs are derivative of something else. It's the spin on the design that is really the showcase. I think it's a wonderful color palette selection with good clean designs. No doubt these pieces can be made any number of ways, but for the time being this is how Blenko made them. Not to make excuses, but one has to remember that Blenko is working under the constraints of producing "production line" glassware, with all that implies i.e. production time per piece, color selection available and other production variables. It is obvious some corners were cut. Were these strictly art glass pieces I'm sure these pieces would have looked quite different. I guess it's like the difference between eating a hearty stew or a plain and simple broth. Both can be delicious for very different reasons.-Tim
8:41 PM, July 05, 2007
sharon reed hill said...
I really like this line: it reminds me of my past. That's how I first remember Blenko glass.The colors are wonderful.I'd like to add that until you, Hillary, started The Blenko Project, I really hadn't appreciated what I have or did have. It was after the first newspaper article, that I decided to take a second look. Always had an appreciation for Blenko but now more so thanks to your making everyone more aware of our state treasure. Thanks!
11:53 PM, July 05, 2007
Anonymous said...
Ms. HomburgDrove to Milton, they did not havemany of these items in the store.We did very much like the new lines.Bought several items, you tell themthey should have at a minimum a display of all new items or what you write about.Ted S. Kellner
hjh

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hill
lmao
I remember you as a majorette
and head dancer who was also
a math and science whiz
dunno about nerd. Shy,
but you were always a strong
person and a good friend
even to Eage Scouts.
Remember our Scuba Diving lessons?
Paul Jordan
Do not beat your self over this
blog. You do a great job
these ppl are stupid.

Anonymous said...

HILLARY
SOME DAYS YOU ARE 2 SERIOUS.
BOB STROSS

Anonymous said...

Hillary
Is this a subliminal message
for me? You really don't dislike me - as you don't know me?

Solomon