Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Vintage Cars and Blenko Glass

Pittsburgh's Vintage Car Grand Prix July 6-15th.
On Sunday we were fortunate enough to attend a preview event for the Vintage Car Grand Prix. Over 3 dozen cars, my favorite was the FIAT 1500 a 1970 - in a Blenko orange!*
Most of the cars were 60 - 70s the time JOEL P MYERS AND WAYNE HUSTED were designing at BLENKO! Vintage cars are a passion for me, I love cars, not necessarily the muscle cars, but the cars with lots of 'chrome' and heavy design, and also the 'cute' little cars!
My love of the German 'beetle' remains as strong today as it was in 1990 when I saw my first
VW Convertible and declared my self a HERBIE fan!
Standing out as a crowd pleaser was the epitome of sports cars the 1967 Shelby GT1500 KR Convertible. There were there 6 other Mustangs, Corvettes from 1950s to 90s (a dozen), MGs, A Lotus, Mercedes Benz. These cars were for the most part hauled on trailers to the site. Pampered by their owners. Either completely restored or near mint original condition, proud owners stood close by to speak with interested visitors.
So many of the cars were very LARGE - I found myself thinking mpg - These cars were built in a time when the thoughts were about "performance' rather than energy efficiency! hjh
* Anyone know the history of the 1970 Fiat 1500 ?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had given no previous thought to the connection between my husbands cars and my designer cars.
We bought the large Husted floor
pieces in mid 60s and large fin cars.
You are so clever to make the connection.
Emily Presier

Anonymous said...

Click here: Fiat 1300/1500 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
if you were accepting emails
enormous amounts of info available.
interested?
Solomon

Anonymous said...

Doesn't one of the Blenko do racing?

Heart of Glass said...

Other than Blenko GLass
related events I haven't a lot of information about Blenko family
activities.
So I can't respond to this
perhaps some other collector might have this info.
hjh

Anonymous said...

BLENKO GLASS
YOU MUST HELP ME UNDERSTAND THE FASCINATION. I HAVE SEEN THE PHOTOS, VIEWED THE WEB SITE. MUST CONFESS
ALL GLASS LOOKS MUCH THE SAME TO ME.
"OH MY GOD
I LOVE ALL THE DISNEY FILMS
ABOUT HERBIE"
BUT AREN'T YOU TOO YOUNG TO
KNOW THESE FILM?
A GIRL WHO DOESN'T LIKE
MUSCLE CARS
I HAVE A FINE COLLECTION
OF AUSTIN HEALEY (6) THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU.
MIKE FIRTH