Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Thursday, September 04, 2008

WVJanis' Photos of Museum of GLass



Hillary: Please feel free to upload all, some, or none of these photos of my visit to Weston, WV this weekend.The weather was fabulous in Weston, WV this past weekend (8/9/08) and the WV Museum of American Glass was memorable. Below, you will see 1) the parking lot of the bank (bank closed for day) where I parked while visiting the WV Museum of American Glass. The billowy clouds created an aura of happiness that filled the town this past weekend. People were out participating in a swap meet that spread from Buchannon to Weston. Bargains were everywhere.Inside the museum, the woman working took her time with everyone, answering our questions and wrapping our vintage glass purchases-- from the small shop within the museum. Here you also see photos of one of the grand display cases (mostly Kanawha Glass); the Blenko Man, made from 18 glass objects from the collection of Rock Wilson and turned into a work of art by John Zidek. Finally, the window disks, made by Blenko in the early 70's, hang proudly by the entrance door. At an antique mall in WV this weekend, I purchased one of these BLENKO zodiac rondels like you see in the window-- the only one they had and it was actually MY SIGN!!!!!!!!!Hope you enjoy these photos. Hope you don't delay on adding small town WV to your vacation list-- Milton for BLENKO and Weston for the WV Museum of American Glass. Allow several hours for each!West Virginia Janis

6 comments:

WV Janis said...

Dear All:

HIllary wasn't able to upload all the photos but, I assure, the Glass Museum in Weston, WV is fabulous! Here is their contact information and URL:

wvmag.bglances.com

177 Main Ave
Weston, WV 26452
(304) 269-5006

If you want to learn more about WV glass and identify some pieces, the Glass Museum is a great start!

WV Janis

Anonymous said...

That is the coolest thing I have seen. Hats off the WV Janis!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Janis I have wanted to go there, but when I tried the building was closed, I must have the wrong address. I love it when everyone shares photos.
Margie Hale

Anonymous said...

For the language buffs - it says "Bharatgas" on the cylinders. The word "Bharat" is the official name of India in Hindi, Sanskrit and Marathi languages. The name in other Indian languages is a close variation of this word.
If you use my photos add these words please.
Annu

Anonymous said...

Very Nice Blenko! Now I will have I have three Reason to go to Weston. I might be able to get Rog to go for a weekend. My dinner which I chewed was also much better tasting. I had cabbage and potatoes with cornbread and afew bites of bacon. I am very proud to say that I can chew again thanks to our own Dentist Hillary and WVU. They just don't have a number one football team they have a great dental department as well. Thanks Hillary, I am very proud of you! Just remeber me when you get a fear and because I know that you can accomplish what ever you sit or set out to do.I will be glad when you are in business for your self, cause if you are near I will always be you patient. Roxie

Anonymous said...

Hilary
Can you ask them to make those hanging disc again?
Margie Hale