Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

New Blenko finds




Hillary:

I haven’t been out antiquing as much as I used to, but I have two recent finds that I think the bloggers will enjoy.

First, located in a medium sized multi-booth antique mall in Ventura, CA. 598 L pitcher in Persian blue, complete with sandblasted etching. This pitcher is 18” tall, and the largest of the three sizes in which the design was made, medium being 16” tall, and the small one 11” tall. This design was made only in the 1959 line. I paid $55 for this piece; Pina’s book Blenko Catalogs: Then and Now lists price ranging from $100 to $150.

Second, located in a large multi-booth antique mall in Santa Clarita, CA. Probably a 3715 S vase in Sky blue. The vase is 6” tall, slightly seeded glass. According to the catalog reprints in the Eason Eige book, Blenko Glass, 1930 – 1953, page 87, there were four sizes of this design, 3715 L at 9”, 3715 M at 7”, 3715 S at 6” and 3715 X at only 5”. I paid $14 for this piece, which originally sold for $1. The Eige price guide (1992 – 1993) lists the large vase being between $60 and $75. I say probably a 3715, because according to Damon Crain, early Blenko designs were not always original or exclusive to Blenko. However, it feels right (hard to quantify, I know, but that’s the best description I can give of the method) and I’m leaning towards it being an early piece of Blenko glass.

Bottom line, I bought both pieces because I liked the design, condition and color, and was comfortable with the price. I passed on another pitcher in a different Ventura antique mall on the same day as the piece was over $100, and the condition of the piece did not warrant that price.

Excellent decision to moderate the comments; I was so tired of all the vitriol spewed by Rita and others. Good luck in your career, and I hope you continue with the blog.

Best,

Diane Weber

4 comments:

glassbug said...

Excellent post and most excitingphotos.
Thank you once again.

Anonymous said...

Your photos are a very positive addition, your comments are always informative.

Heart of Glass said...

Diane's photos are wonderful, I apologize for the long amount of time they spent in the spam folder.
HJH

buckndi said...

Thanks for posting them, even belatedly. I've been having computer issues of my own, so didn't know this had been posted till today.