Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Blenko Family - Rogal Chapel

The Blenko Family. For me its hard to distinguish between BLENKO GLASS and the Blenko Family. The two are so intertwined in my mind. I have such great admiration and respect for the Company and the Family.
Mr. William H (Bill) is an engineer by training - he is a proud Carnegie Mellon graduate. He often tells me stories of his time at Carnegie Mellon where he was a noted athlete as well as a scholar. The stories I love best are about living in the 'frat house', and stories about his family dinners in Pittsburgh. Mr. B loves Carnegie Mellon, almost as much as I love WVU!
Although after spending a day on the Carneige Mellon campus - I can agree with Mr. B -' its one beautiful place.'
While visiting in Pittsburgh this weekend. I had the distinct pleasure of making contact with Dr. Ann Witchner who arranged for me to visit and photograph the stain glass panel donated by Mr. William H Blenko to Carnegie Mellon. The dynamic window was designed by Bruno and constructed by David Parrendo of the Hunt Stain Glass Studio.
The window is located in a small chapel - actually a small interfaith room . . .a very distinguished modern room with dark wood, this very large floor to ceiling stain glass panel covers most of the back wall - the over all effect of the diffused colored light shining inside this small space is one of joy!
The
room expressed a quiet, reflective serene, yet joyful, calmness. We sat quietly experiencing the colors and the silence - - - IF I were a Carnegie Mellon student, I think I might find myself often coming to the Rogal Chapel.

I am attaching several photos of the window and the entrance to the chapel. . . .this is another example of BLENKO generosity.
hjh

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you standing in front of the panel gave me some ability to determine the size it must be one big panel
how large is it?
TJ Miller
Stain Glass
Charleston

Heart of Glass said...

THE CURATOR SUGGESTED
I PLACE MYSELF IN FRONT OF
THE PANEL FOR JUST THAT
REASON - IT DIDN"T WORK
FOR ME. BUT . .
the panel is I think
about 12- 14 x 8 or 10 ft
my guess - ITS VERY LARGE
and VERY UNIQUE
VERY MODERN
VERY COLORFUL
YET TASTEFUL!