Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Friday, June 08, 2007

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Collecting

In ' The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy,' Douglas Adams reveals the secret of flying. Just launch yourself toward the ground and miss.

This is the best advice I know for coping with the fear of 'collecting'. Why not try throwing yourself forward, being willing not to mind if you ' make a mistake' or buy a ' not genuine' item.

Put your walking shoes on and get out there this weekend - - -start a collection. Become passionate about something!

May I recommend (1) shopping at the BLENKO GLASS VISITORS CENTER (304 743 9081) where every item is genuine, handcrafted, made in WVa. (2) Join a Collectors Club - Such as WVA Museum of Glass or the Blenko Collectors Society. This will allow you to become an educated and informed collector.

THE PRIMARY RULE: whatever you collect - allow your self to buy or bring home - - ONLY what you feel passionate about - items that make you smile, bring you pleasure, COLLECT What you LOVE! hjh

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being passionate about the pieces one collects is good. However, understanding the value of the work is just as important. One should always have an appreciation for an objects' potential appreciation. In that aspect, your passion may be not be the best judge.

Jeff M.

Heart of Glass said...

Mr. Mayer
I know you come from a family of professional art collectors - and I understand the need to 'think' about 'potential appreciation of value'.
This is excellent advise!
...joining a club will allow you to become an educated 'buyer/ collector'.
hjh
thanks for the comment and for reading. I hope you will continue to read and comment.

Anonymous said...

When my wife and I decided we wanted to have a small collection of Blenko, our very first purchase was a mistake and I'm not ashamed to say I've made several mistakes since then. The regrets I have are not the mistakes I've bought, but the ones I didn't buy because I wasn't sure if they were Blenko or not. It's learning process. Mistakes will happen, but in the end it should be fun. I think every hobbyist should regard his or her hobby as fun, otherwise why do it? As for value, I had no earthly idea or interest in it's potential future value when I started. Now I have a fairly good idea of what I've spent and what some book or eBay says its worth. I'm not planning on retiring off my collection. My 401K plan and meager retirement investments will hopefully see to that. As for my collection, I've always said leave it for our estate sale. This is our fun time. Whether walking through and outdoor flea market on a beautiful day or walking in an antique mall on a rainy afternoon, it's been a blast!

-Tim A.

jedijawa said...

HHGTTG! You get cooler all the time!