Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Anniversary of Heart of Glass

Today is the anniversary of the Heart of Glass Blog. Over 14 months ago Ed Dawson of the Hearld ask me to blog - I didn't know what 'blogging' was. The online editor Andre Copley-Smith held my hand for the first month, introduced me to This Is Not My Blog and several other great Blogs . . . in an attempt to acclimate me to good blog writing style. Not a lot has changed. My relationship with electronics remains the same - I love gadgets,they often break . Time - there is never enough! etc.

With special thanks to my blog mentor Chris, web master Steve R., Blenko project gofor Maggie
and to each of you for reading and responding. You have all aided in my desire to have everyone become AWARE of BLENKO GLASS and the relationship of GLASS MAKING to WEST VIRGINIA and West Virgina's Heritage.

Advocacy and awareness remain the focus of this blog.

Thanks for reading!











HJH & Miss B




I'm Reprinting the 2006 Sept 20th post for HEART OF GLASS.

This blog will focus on the Blenko Glass Company located in Milton, West Virginia. Twice weekly I'll post on Blenko and WV Glass topics, once a month the post will feature an employee or designer from the present or past. Biweekly I'll post photos of individual Blenko made items, and items that are currently available from Blenko. We will offer some background information on the piece and perhaps the steps/ process used to make the item. I am NOT a fine arts major, a glass expert or an English/Journalism major. I don't have all the glass answers. I am inquisitive, don't mind asking people for answers - I believe in lifelong learning. This blog will I hope be a place where we can learn together.If you have been to the Blenko Factory, or are a retired or former glass worker or just have photos of unusual Blenko and / or Blenko stories to share - this is the place - I'd love to see/hear them. For the last 2 years I have spent all my free time traveling to meet former Blenko and other glass workers and designers. I want to learn more about Blenko and W. Va. made glass. . . and I want YOU to THINK before buy glass...who made the glass. The number of glass factories in the US has declined by almost 72% in the last 15 years.Together we can stop this trend. Be an advocate for MADE IN WV.Blenko Glass Factory is located in Milton, W.Va., less than 20 minutes from Huntington, W. Va.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

blenko blenko. blenko.
Are you dying your hair dark?
It looks much darker than in person.
Still looks very good!
Ms B is is a beautiful reflection of her owner.
A perfectly groomed, perfectly
shaped obviously very bright and well dressed and passionae about Blenko!
Solomon

Anonymous said...

I miss the Blenko employee articles will you do more of
them this year?
Lucy Dumony

Heart of Glass said...

Solomon
If we've met I have no memory of the event. HJH
Lucy
I promise to include more BLENKO employee interviews - arent they great folks, my problem is Im in Mtown and they're in Milton - but keep watching...I'll do three or four before Xmas. I promise.
hjh

andreendo said...

great photos hilly
today and yesterday
you and ms b are both
an artist dream - perfect
creatures.
cong rats on blog
I could never do community service
for so long.
Hats off to you!
Blow pipes up!
ps and we have met!

Anonymous said...

Hillary
we met at a foundation function sometime
before you began the blog. I am not surprised you don't recall there were many people
and only a few 'scholars'
I can make myself available
at your will.
Solomon

Unknown said...

Hi Hillary,
Congratulations for accomplishing successful blogging and managing it. my sincere appreciation to you and to all blogging team who made this happen.

Also I like the new look and feel of the blogging website. Its really good.

You seem to have the appetite to learn techie & new things too apart from honoring white coat :)

way to go

Ram

Heart of Glass said...

RAM
I do very much like gadgets - IF I ever have money I'll own lots of gadgets..dunno if this means I'll every be techno savy.
hjh
The 'new' look of the Hearld is very NICE isn't it!! kudos to the Herald!!

Unknown said...

Hi Hillary,
I know you will , tell me what are must have gadgets that you can't live
what are the things you want to buy

Ram

Anonymous said...

thank! for this news it's a good infomation !