Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Monday, September 03, 2007

Paradise Is Where I AM - Voltaire

This Labor Day Weekend I drove home to Charleston. Spent time at Blenko Glass, and time with friends and family .
Having time to joyfully engage in the things you care about is a great gift. A lesson learned this year.
How fortunate we are to live in a small friendly state, where people stop to offer help to those in need, where we know our neighbors, and share in their times of happiness and sorrow.
Take some time this week to find pleasure in what you have, where you are, who you are with.
Life is a treasure. Living in West Virginia can be, if one chooses to view it as a gift. West Virginia is made up of many treasures. The wonderful mountains, rivers, beautiful majestic scenery.
Blenko Glass Company - the only manufacture of antique glass in the United States located in Milton, is one of West Virginia's many treasures.
hjh

8 comments:

andreerdos said...

Hillary
you make West Virginia sound
very beautiful
I have not seen this state for myself
but all the people I meet from the state seem to be beautiful and to love the state. What about the high rate of unemployment and the closing of Fenton? Does the effect your love of the state?
your friend
A.

Heart of Glass said...

West Virginia is the MOST beautiful state!
Our unemployment rate is under control and our State Govt is very pro active and pro business. West Virginia Admistration and Legislature is working hard to make WEST VIRGINIA an even more Business Friendly Enviroment!
RE Fenton I will
add a quote from the Blenko Glass Collectors President Tammy
"I am sad to see any American company especially a glass company close. I am not a Fenton collector but I have many friends that are. I am sorry for the Fenton family and their employees. There have been so many gassl companies located in the Ohio valley and not many are left. The one thing Blenko has that none of the other companies had was two departments their "Antique" and "Tableware. These departments survive off of each other.. Without both the Blenko company would probably be closed just like Rainbow, Bischoff, Pilgrim, and an so many more. "

She said it must more eloquently than I ever could have.
Hope this answers your questions.
HJH

Anonymous said...

Highway to Heaven. Take I-79 out of Charleston. As you drive, notice the mountains becoming higher and more rugged. There are places, from the highway, where one can view mountain vistas that appear to seemingly go on forever. Exit I-79 at interchange #99 and drive into Weston. Visit the West Virginia Museum of American Glass in downtown Weston. They have thousands of pieces of beautiful glass on display. Next go to Buckhannon on Rte #33. A beautiful little mountain town, home to Ron Hinkle's Dying Art Glassworks. Downtown Buckhannon is a shopper's delight for antiques, misc. shopping and dining. Just a small example of what can be found in West Virginia. Regards, Ron of Huntington, W.V.

Heart of Glass said...

Ron
Your comments are always very useful and complete. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hillary
I watched 2 dvd's stained glass and start to finish
both of them are very amazing and its really very skilled job and needs lot of practice and
careful attention

It has beautiful captured the history of Blenko family and also their contribution
I really liked it Blenko glass is all over the world being used in cathederal , churches, organisations

Thankyou Hillary for intrudcuing me to this wonder glass arts

Sometime I would like to see in person molten glass process .

Just wondering what is the plan to protect this art. This seems to be very specific skill and
how and what is the plan to pass it coming generation ?

Ram

Heart of Glass said...

Ram
Again, thank you for commenting.
I am glad you and your family saw the Blenko series and enjoyed it.
PBS broadcast BLENKO series and it is available also on DVD from most public libraries.
I do NOT know the answer to your question about 'next generation' for BLENKO... its a difficult one...I DO KNOW BLENKO IS OWNED BY BLENKOS and it is expected to remain a private company.
Let me ask Tammy K. the Blenko Collectors President to comment on this. She is must more knowledgable than I.
Look for her response.
HJH

Heart of Glass said...

Ram I will ask them to post your letter here.
hjh

Unknown said...

Hillary,
That is so nice of you, I will check here for response
Ram