Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

How Do You Measure Success?

How Do You Measure Success?

When I was a child I thought I'd be a 'success' when I could afford to buy my Dad really good seat at WVU's Mountaineer Field along with a great parking space. Well not a lot has changed over the years.
My Dad still parks in the Blue Lot and he now sits in Touch Down Terrace, but keeps his 4 seats in section #127 on the 30 yard line so that if my Moms health ever improves they can move back.
What I didn't realize as a child - was my Dad had decent seats and a fairly good parking space and success is measured can be measured a multitude of ways . . .

How have you measured success in your own life?

Blenko Glass in Milton has been and remains successful, it is one of the few remaining American hand blown glass manufacturers in America. I think Blenko has measures success in its ability to meet market demands, but also its most unique ability to be a family oriented company.
Most every employee of Blenko Glass is a relative of a former Blenko Employee. The number of retired Blenko Employees is very high.
It is fairly common to find Blenko Employees who are 50 years old with 30 years of service to Blenko. Blenko Glass values its employees and the employees are very loyal to Blenko.
All this says alot about the company and the employee. The SUCCESS of the Company and the SUCCESS of the employee. The ability to work well together, the ability to produce an excellent product. A West Virginia product that West Virginians are proud of.
The final product, the hand crafted glass that you purchase in the Visitors Center or on line is produced by these Blenko employees, all West Virginians. Long term Blenko Glass employees, men who learned the skills on the job. At Blenko each employee is a member of a team and also a member of the Blenko family.
Blenko remains successful, regardless of the definition of Success.
hjh

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilary
Blenko is successful because they have people like you and that Tim from the BCS and the entire Blenko Collectors and others who believe so postively in them.
Having support of the community is a big part of success.
It has been very much a part of my business success.
You have great people skills Hillary.
Blenko should be proud of its success and of the collectors success and your success.
Solomon

sherry hill said...

Blenko is successful because it produces beautiful and above quality glassware: but the most important thing is that everyone connected with Blenko works together as a team [you included.]
As a teacher for a long time, there were many times I thought I wasn't successful only to find out years later from a former student how much I did impact his or her life. That says it all. And it applies to Blenko as well: producing a product that will live on is what success is all about.

sherry hill said...

I also wanted to say that pride in workmanship, people skills and the finished product is what success is all about.

Anonymous said...

Hilary
Just for the record
what will make you feel
a success
now?
Solomon

ps. I measure success in terms of the bottom line dollars and I
consider myself to be successful since 2000. Most men think this way.

Heart of Glass said...

Solomon
Re: Your question about when I'll feel successful. . . a Ralph W. Emerson quote from Mrs. Blau honors English Class
Success: To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded! ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ditto for me Mr. Emerson.

Unknown said...

Hi Hillary,
Success is a very relative term and means differently personally & professionally.
While growing up I too wished for many things we could not afford and like a small boy I had too many innocent dreams but I am happy that my parents provided me education despite of all odds and encouraged to dream big. Today education has not only opened up so many oppurtunites but also helped me realize my dreams and help my family. My success relates to my family as a whole not just me.

I must say that your parents have also succeeded in instilling the values in you and making you a responsible well rounded person.

Your dedication to Blenko community is worth commendable, who relates & commits to Blenko dream and success.

Blenko family who have successfully preserved this very unique manual skillful art passed this along generations which in itself is Big Success.

I am very sure and positive that people like you,Blenko community & Blenko family who is committed to it, the beauty of this Glass art is ageless.

Ram

Anonymous said...

My wife and I grew up in Milton, we have raised 5 boys all graduated high school and now have children. We felt successful to have them finish high school something neither of us did. We worked hard and had a good life. Milton is a good place to live. Our grandchildren come often to Milton.
Our Senior Center is one of the most successful in West Virginia.
Bob H.
we find blenko often at flea market and house hold sales.

Anonymous said...

Success for me is retiring to a farm that I love with a man that
I adore.
MH

andreendo said...

Success I agree and disagree with Solomon
Money is a measure of Sucess in the USA, but character can not be bought. Happiness can not be bought. Talent can not be bought.
Dedication can not be bought.
I'll bet no one could pay you enough money hilly to do what you do for Blenko if you didn't feel the strong committment. This is a bi product of true character. An essential element of real success.

Heart of Glass said...

Ram you and your wife are rearing your children in an admirable way.
I am so glad you are now including Blenko. Education and awareness is the greatest gift one can give. _________
Ms. Hill
Eloquently you stated what I was 'trying' to say. Thank you.
_Solomon
Thank you 4 the comment!_____
Andre
I agree with you
and we both agree with Emerson.
______
annonymous
Milton is a wonderful town. You are indeed lucky to live and grow your family there.
I love Milton!
_______
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts about SUCCESS!