Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Remains Of The Day

Growing up around glass factories in WV, I collected little chunks of glass and played with them for hours. To me they were treasures, pirate's booty. I sorted them by color, size, and my perceived value. Some little chunks were dropped into my goldfish tank.
The pieces photographed below are larger than most in my collection and purchased within the last year for the nostalgia factor! From left to right, here we see a chunk of red/orange cull; next is a piece of cement with glass spilled onto it; next is a blown glass ball with spikes on it; last is a piece of cement with green glass adhered to it. The pieces range from 3-5 inches tall.
WV Janis

If you have a Blenko or WV Glass story to share, please send to theblenkoproject@aol.com . Stories and photos are always welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chunks of glass. I have big chunkis 12 inches by 12 inches of beautiful solid colors in my yard.
Hilary's Dad convinced me to purchase the first two, I later returned and bought 4 more.
Glass is a green product. All the by products are reused.
Alice