Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Blenko 'Glass Festival' Photos

Festival of Glass - Garden Tour - these photos are of the Garden Tour - Blenko Glass is everywhere - the lights are made of BLENKO GLASS (solar panel to illuminate), architectural brick around the garden beds, Blenko figurines and Blenko bowls are used as Bird feeders and Bird baths. The BLENKO in this yard ranges in age from 27 years to being bought last week. Its OK to leave Blenko outdoors (breakage occurs but not often). I didn't have time to interview Brett or Don ( Stain Glass / Architectural Glass) but will send emails and ask them to let us know when new things are available.












DO YOU HAVE BLENKO PHOTOS - if you do please share with the Heart of Glass Blog theblenkoproject@aol.com .
Everyday next week I'll post photos from the Festival. NEXT YEAR it will be BIGGER and BETTER! We'll start getting the word out immediately after the June 20th WVa Birthday Event. We want to publicly THANK Christy at Blenko Glass for always responding quickly to our questions about the Festival of Glass.
Note: I don't have names of all the people in my photos - but when you send photos - if you have the time send description and names of people in photos.
Note: #2 The VINTAGE GLASS SALE was a tremendous event. I didn't blog about it - as I had no information. NEXT YEAR I hope to be in touch with Steve Bair and blog frequently about this sale. IF you collect you'll want to also attend the Vintage Glass sale yearly - great way to SEE and purchase Fine Quality Older BLENKO.
I have no money - so I'm just a LOOKER, nice thing is these Dealers love Glass and they love your questions. Bair was one of the first people to give me photos and information 4 years ago when I started THE BLENKO PROJECT. He was also instrumental in helping a couple of my professors find Glass they needed. IF you are looking for something - LET US KNOW!



12 comments:

Phani said...

Great Garden, I like brickhouses with big front yards. Garden as this would definitely bring great looks for a house. Would like to look at more pictures HJH.

Heart of Glass said...

Phani - this is my parents home and the yard is very small - postage stamp size they often say.
Wish I had more photos - I don't- I feel certain we'll get lots from readers - many people had camera at the Garden Tour and at Blenko.
Thank you
HJH

Anonymous said...

Hilary
Did the Celebration Piece sell out?
May we still buy them?
Margie Hale

Anonymous said...

Hilly
You said you weren't going to
Blenko. What changed?
Sol

Anonymous said...

h0llyk911 has left a new comment on your post "Celebration Vase":

I went on Saturday and got number 51 of the 150 they were selling that day. Although I wish it was a different color (I'm a ruby and creamsicle fan, myself) I have grown to love its smurfy hue!
It was PACKED on Saturday and hope they do it again next year!

-Holly

Anonymous said...

met Karin this weekend at the Festival of glass and I would like to be put in touch with her. She was very kind and informative. Thank you

4:58 PM, August 24, 2008


Hillary J Homburg said...
Hello - Karin the BCS President
and if you will send your email address to theblenkoproject@aol.com I'll forward to Karin.
The BCS may have an email address if so - I'll post this. hjh

4:59 PM, August 24, 2008

mismgr said...

Great artistic use of Blenko Glass in a garden setting. Celebration piece was still available at closing time at the VC on Saturday. We hope to see the photos of HJH and Dad blowing glass at Blenko

Heart of Glass said...

Thank you for sending photos - I'm gonna frame a couple.
This week I'm doing ONLY photos of the Celebration of GLASS so you'll see many photos and I'll use the ones you sent on thursday.
Thank you so very much for COMING TO MILTON, Supporting BLENKO and for reading the blog.
hjh

Anonymous said...

Hilly
Saw the garden on Channel 3 and then last night at 11 for a 2 minute on FOX great publicity after the fact.
Get with it!
Sol

Anonymous said...

Hilly
Just read the comments, this is your home? Were you there? Damn.
Sol

DrAnnu said...

Why am I not surprised to learn the Glass Lady lives in a charming shaker shingle house with a glass garden? This should be illustration for a children's book, I must share these with my artist boyfriend. Story book photos. Most charming. Thank you Glass Lady for your generosity and devotion to Virginia Glass.

Anonymous said...

Hillary, I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed visiting and chatting with your parents in their garden Thursday evening. I do not have their e-mail address, but wanted then to know how appreciative we are that they opened their lovely yard to the public. Thank you, Teresa Fortin

PS Tell your Mom I was the lady with the impatient husband waiting in the car!