Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Don Lemley Instructor of Stain Glass Class

'Hillary here are my fave photos - the stain glass teacher demonstrating technique in the background is Richard Blenko showing Cargirl from Michigan* how to break glass. The second photo is of the 'Best Buy' of the day. When I left they still had these, for $10 you get a disk with the Festival of Glass and date. Awesome souvenirs.' I didn't get to meet you. Only yesterday when I read the blog did I realize you were there. Happy Birthday Mountain Rita.
* cargirl is one of 'us' heart of glassers
Note: From Heart of Glass. You can arrange a Stain Glass Class by phoning BLENKO GLASS. Mr. Lemley is available to teach, my parents took the class - I'll take photos of their creations. My Mom admits she had 'not one creative bone' yet the final product was beautiful. Mr. Lemley is an excellent instructor. Get a group of friends together and take a class. hjh

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

As so often happens with Google, I was searching for something completely unrelated to Blenko glass when I found your website. Being a native of West Virginia and having a couple of pieces of Blenko, I deicded to check out your website.
Several years ago I heard Blenko had closed, but from your website am unsure if that is true or not. Please let me know when you get a chance.
Kudos to you for your dedication to a West Virginia treasure.
Sincerely,
Mary Ann Nester

susan said...

Read about the classes earlier in the month. Photos of finished (by collectors) product? What did you make in the class?(s)

DrAnnu said...

whats with the crystal?
I tried to get the astro disc and they were all in crystal?
No color.
Isn't your Blenko known for its color?

Heart of Glass said...

Salton
Many people my Mom included love crystal. To be honest I think they made the ornament in the color of the day - which happen to be crystal. If anyone else knows about this please respond to Salton.
hjh
Mary Ann Nester
THANK YOU ! If we all shop BLENKO it will be able to stay in business. The gas prices and other concerns are tremendous but with a loyal customer base...anything is possible.
BUY BLENKO! Buy Made in USA.
hjh
Susan
When photos arrive I'll publish.
hjh

Anonymous said...

You don't publish my comments.
Why don't you publish all comments?

Anonymous said...

Hi Hillary,
It was so nice to meet you on Saturday, and visit again with your lovely parents. They are so proud of you, and it's easy to see why. I hope someone got a picture of you receiving the award from the Collectors Society. A handled water bottle, blown just for you. I was sorry to miss the garden tour Friday night, not enough time to do everything I wanted to do. I'm not sure how Blenko will stand up to very cold Michigan winters, so I plan to bring mine inside for the winter.
I wish I had signed up for the class your parents did, next year. I am the student in the background being shown how to break glass by Richard Blenko. I also learned how to chip the glass, and got to keep my practice pieces.
I also bought several new pieces, and a couple of vintage pieces, which I haven't unpacked yet. I got back to Michigan Tuesday.
Car Girl