Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass
Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.
Sunday, October 12, 2008
Blenko Glass in theNew Erickson Alumni Center
These six-foot-diameter stained glass windows of the flying WV logo for the bell tower windows at the new WVU Alumni Center in Morgantown were created by Law's Stained Glass Studio, out of Statesville, N.C. using BLENKO GLASS.
More on the New Erickson Alumni Center
* New center will be located on two acres near Ruby Memorial Hospital, less than 400 yards from Mountaineer Field at Milan Puskar Stadium and provides a view of the WVU Coliseum
* Approximately 48,000 square feet
* Cost: approximately $12 million
* Building is being funded through grants, gifts and private contributions
* The architecture of the building is reminiscent of Woodburn Hall and features a landmark bell tower (with carillon), terrace, meeting facilities, and outdoor fireplace
* IKM Architects of Pittsburgh designed the new facility
* March-Westin is the contractor for the project
* Groundbreaking held June 1, 2007
* Anticipated completion date is late-fall 2008
* Charles F. Erickson, son of the late Charles O. Erickson, serves as honorary chair of the building campaign. Glenn Adrian serves as chair of the building campaign. To date, more than $10 million has been raised for this project.