Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

BLENKO GLASS - FISH


The Blenko Glass http://www.blenkoglass.com/ Visitor Center/gift shop has a little lake to the left (man made) filled with fish , duck and geese. Its no wonder that the craftsmen at BLENKO have made designer one of kind FISH for decades. Heart of Glass wants to publish ALL the FISH we can get photos of in DEC. IF you have a BLENKO FISH, or a Fish collection, please take photos and send to theblekoproject@aol.com.

WVJ. sent the following message and FISH - I'm sharing with you all ( IF YOU DON"T WANT YOUR PHOTOS OR MESSAGE SHARED , Mark it private - in the email please)- WE NEED PHOTOS OF FISH, Figurines made by BLENKO (animals), Paper weights, LAMPS all for special post in December - PLEASE HELP! If you don't own a BLENKO fish, now is the time to purchase one. . . . Fish can vary in price from $85 to $150 at the Visitors Center - online I've seen the price go to $250. In the early days I think the Crystal fish were less than $25. Hopefully, we'll have photos of FISH from all decades.

WVJ like many of our readers loves to photograph her glass, which she generously shares' Heart of Glass' readers frequently see her photos. Its my hope this FISH photo will inspire you to either take photos of your glass, or send the photos you have taken to the blog. Thanks HJH
With the photo she wrote: Here is a BLENKO fish that I purchased on June 20th, 2008 (West Virginia Day) at the visitors' center. I purchase glass for its potential as a subject to photograph. If you are trying to do the same, I recommend purchasing a fish with lots of contrast. As you can see, his one has red eyes, fins and lips and a blue/yellow/greenish body. The different thickness of glass from the stomach to the tail makes it seem to change color. For me, the crystal tail fin is a nice touch. The green fish with the clear eyes is nice, peaceful, but not nearly as photogenic. This one reminds me of a Siamese fighting fish!Having a sunny day and a cloudy old window added interest for the look I wanted in the photo. No flash helps too! Also, this one was signed at the factory. I was told that you have to be careful where to sign so that they don't break.Happy holidays, all. Happy fishing for BLENKO glass, new as well as on the secondary market.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

The beauty is there.
I failed to find this fish at Blenko, perhaps I need a shopping assistant West Virginia J, we should go together. I fail to find a fish, or appropriate lamps many times over now.
Sol

Anonymous said...

Live in San Jose, just read your column about traveling with your fluff. Red Roof Inn most always welcomes fluffs. They will provide lst floor room and no pet charges.
Check them out.
Carl

Heart of Glass said...

Christy from Blenko
reports SWEET PEA is all gone, if you didn't get Sweet Pea (pink) note: Pink Ice will be made later this month. My suggestion is to phone or go immediately to insure you bring home PINK Glass from Blenko!
hjh

Heart of Glass said...

Carl,
I appreciate the information about hotels and dogs, I travel most always with ms b, so many hotels are changing their policies re: animals.
Wyndham in Pittsburgh changed July 13 2008 Ms. B was a regular at this establishment. We were very disappointed in the change.
I'm doing interviews for residency the next 2 months - you can bet I'll be checking out The Red Roof Inns.

Anonymous said...

Dentist have to do residency?
Did you not pass your test?
My dentist just became a dentist, did the training and came to work.
Why are they making you do this?
Mary B.

Anonymous said...

Actually you do publish photos without asking. You've done it before.

Heart of Glass said...

Guilty As Charged
I am forever 'stealing' photos from Damon Crane and then sending a note begging forgiveness.
If you send a photo and Don't want me to publish tell me Do Not Share this Photo. Otherwise I'll share. I love your Blenko and I want everyone to see and know how beautiful Blenko Glass can be/is.
Blenko photographs so beautifully! If you have a great Blenko photograph please send it, for sharing!
hjh

Anonymous said...

Thank you once again to WVAJANIS
our official Heart of Glass photographer.
P J

WV Janis said...

My friend, June, sent the following comment about the BLENKO fish that I photographed.

"I LOVE YOUR GLASS FISH...that is the prettiest blown glass I have ever, ever seen."

June has traveled extensively and has a lovely house full of tasteful things; so, for her to comment that it is the prettiest blown glass she has seen is a real testimony to our BLENKO craftsmen. My suggestion would be to make a few more wild fish similar to the one I have. The conservative fish are nice but the bold and colorful ones really get noticed!!!

PJ, that was a cute comment that I'm the "official Heart of Glass photographer." Until we can get some of my favorites like Damon Crane, Rick Lee, or "justamodernguy Chuck" to assume this "pro bono" role, I'll be happy to stand in!!!! LOL

WV Janis

WV Janis

Anonymous said...

WVJanis,
U will have to be the photographer, as the others are men. We know Ms. H doesn't have contact with men unless they are over 80. She doesn't answer mail, phone etc. Thus having a male photographer for Heart of Glass would never work.
Sol

Dr.BOB said...

Janis
Photographing glass is difficult and you my love do a tremdnous job of getting it right.
My own photos show the flash most everytime.
Hilary if you can sign her to life time contract do so immediately, the price is right (laugh).
Twice I sent photos both times Hilary couldn't upload due to color issues.
Is this your profession Janis?

Dr.BOB said...

Janis
Photographing glass is difficult and you my love do a tremdnous job of getting it right.
My own photos show the flash most everytime.
Hilary if you can sign her to life time contract do so immediately, the price is right (laugh).
Twice I sent photos both times Hilary couldn't upload due to color issues.
Is this your profession Janis?

Dr.BOB said...

Mary B.
Since H hasn't answered your ? I will. Dentist are not required to do an additonal training after the DDS. Exceptional students often choose to do another 1-4 years of specialized training.
H. you should do an article about dentistry, to expound on your professional goals. Not everyone who reads is in medicine.

Anonymous said...

I have a question for Milto on the Mud.
What are the good places to eat?
Any shops for glass or collectibles not on the main drag?
Also is there anything open after 9pm
We stayed in Hurricane, shopped both Hurricane and Milton last summer. We felt there must be places we missed.
Donna and Bruce L.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU FOR THIS PHOTO.
BEAU TEE FUL AS MY NEIGHBORS DAUGHTER WOULD SAY.
THE PHOTOGRAPHS ADD SO MUCH.
ALSO WANT TO SAY I WAS CHARGED WITH CRIME NOT CONVICTED, SINCE I MADE THE COMMENT AT LEAST 5 PEOPLE HAVE STOPPED ME TO ASK ABOUT MY CRIMINAL BACKGROUND. SO MUCH FOR OUR PRIVATE LITTLE GROUP. REMEMBER THIS BEFORE YOU WRITE, MANY PEOPLE READ THESE SILLY THINGS.
MOUNTAIN RITA

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read the blog. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.