Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!

Many of you email frequently to ask how is Dent School, or to wish me well. The notes are received , while I do not have time to respond to email. I attempt to answer your questions about Blenko and my life in the blog. Your emails mean a lot to me, and I hope you will continue to write. Soon, (after 5/09) I should have some 'free' time.

This week I did my first GPR/ AEGD residency interview in Pittsburgh, it was a Thursday night - Friday day commitment. The hospital and staff were very nice, busy extremely busy but the current residents described the environment as hectic but full of opportunities to be exposed to new things, to learn - weekly seminars and classes.
I would enjoy.

We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel in downtown Pittsburgh - The Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel is the newly renovated Fulton Building constructed in 1906. Built of granite, brick and copper, this historic building is detailed with several Renaissance revival elements including a copper-roofed rotunda and a set of mythical winged dragons visible upon entering the hotel.[more]. This was very GOOD! We ate dinner at the LEMON GRASS** - one of my a favorite restaurants in Pittsburgh, located across the street from Renaissance Hotel. The service was BAD, very BAD, the food not warm, the tea was luke warm. The server plopped the bill down before serving our desserts? A NEW LOW! LEMON GRASS in the past has been THE BEAUTIFUL! Interestingly, the server followed us out of the restaurant to ask WHY we failed to tip. THE UGLY!
Since its opening in 1998 as the older, more formal sister to Phnom Penh, one of Downtown's first and best Cambodian restaurants, The Lemon Grass Cafe has become a favorite choice of both lunchtime office workers and dinnertime theatergoers, given its prime location in the heart of Pittsburgh's Cultural District. Thursday night was my first disappointment in The Lemon Grass (I've probably been there a dozen or more times).

Below is a brief description of what happens in Dental School and after. If there are questions I haven't answered email and I'll attempt.
Dental school is four academic years in duration and is similar in format to medical school--consisting of two years of basic medical and dental sciences, followed by two years of clinical training (with continued didactic coursework). Before graduating, every dental student must successfully complete the National Board Dental Examination Part I and II (commonly referred to as NBDE I & II). The NBDE Part I is usually taken at the end of the second year after the majority of the didactic courses have been completed. The NBDE Part I covers anatomic sciences, biochemistry, physiology, microbiology, pathology, and dental anatomy and occlusion. The NBDE Part II is usually taken during winter of the last year of dental school and consists of operative dentistry, pharmacology, endodontics, periodontics, oral surgery, pain control, prosthodontics, orthodontics, pedodontics, oral pathology, and radiology. NBDE Part I scores are of importance when considering residency training after graduating from dental school.
After graduating, the vast majority of new dentists go directly into practice while a small percentage of dentists apply to a residency program. Some residency programs train dentists in advanced general dentistry such as General Practice Residencies and Advanced Education in General Dentistry Residencies, commonly referred to as GPR and AEGD. Most GPR and AEGD programs are one year in duration but several are two years long or provide an optional second year. GPR programs are usually affiliated with a hospital and thus require the doctor to treat a wide variety of patients including trauma, critically ill, and medically compromised patients. Additionally, GPR programs require residents to rotate through various departments within the hospital, such as anesthesia, internal medicine, and emergency medicine, to name a few. AEGD programs are usually in a dental school setting where the focus is treating complex cases in a comprehensive manner. * GRP is required before entering Oral Surgery and some other speciality fields. I am applying for GPR and AEGD resident positions.
** Lemon Grass uses BLENKO Glass water bottles. Renaissance Hotel has packaged snacks on the counter in BLENKO GLASS bowls.

13 comments:

bridgett said...

The interviews are considered necessary evil, you sell yourself, they sell the hospital End results you work for peanuts, they profit!

Anonymous said...

Are you leaving blogging and glass when you become MD?

WV Janis said...

Hillary:

I hope you give the LEMONGRASS another chance. As a student, you treasure your moments in indulgence like going to a nice restaurant. I understand your frustration. Why not talk to the owner/manager, tell him/her of your experience and hope that can make it right. After all, we've got to support those businesses that use American glass products!!!!

WV Janis

Anonymous said...

Hilly
I know Pittsburgh,
The French, the asian,the Indian the ethopian, french is my fave-
and I will be your guide, just say when.
Sol

Anonymous said...

Hilly
If you became Mrs Dr. you could avoid these interviews and settle down. Just an observation.
Sol

Heart of Glass said...

WV Janis
When we travel we always look for 'BLENKO' its everywhere - understated useful Blenko.
The Blenko glass kept me going to Lemon Tree, and I will give them another chance. The 'curry' has been so very delicious in the past. My expectations were very high.
hjh

Anonymous said...

The proximity to Heinz Hall makes Lemon Grass popular, many of the asian resturants in Pitt area are superior.
Wanna list?
P J

sweetdoc said...

Laughed so loud when reading this.
Most people hate the interview process, we have young kids come here and vomit.
You should interview them. What can they offer you? What skills do you want to build and how can they help?
Ask lots of questions, we always keep the ones who seem most interested.
Warning! This is the time when the Business Majors, the Law Students and the Phd Engineers come up the hill for Brides.
Are you dating still Eon? You mention your life so infrequently.
We have residents here most all the time, this year no one I would choose for you.

Anonymous said...

Glasslady you L O V E Virginia so much why go out of state for this?
Your school not good enough?

Heart of Glass said...

Answers:
#1. bridget I don't like 'selling myself' I tend to be modest and this for me is difficult.
#2 Anonymous - I won't be leaving the blog or my love of Blenko, nor will I become a MD. (dds dentist) smile.
#3 Sol, When I am in need of a tour guide you'll be my first call.
#4 Sol - If beings MRS MD was my goal I would have enjoyed undergrad and majored in dance!
#5 P J , yes please send to theblenkoproject@aol.com we love Pittsburgh and go there often.
#6 Sweetdoc, I'm too busy for dating, but when I start Husband Hunting I'll remember your suggestions.
#7Why go out of state? The program is located in another state, not everything GOOD is in WV
and I do cross the borders on occassion - smile.

DrAnnu said...

Everyone must do the interviews, I enjoyed them, met many people, made new friends.
Think of it as an opportunity to meet the brightest men you will see in one year!
Also your only free evening of the year.

DrAnnu said...

Pittsburgh is cold and dark
consider NYC or the South or West Coast.
Texas is also nice.

DrAnnu said...

Pittsburgh is cold and dark
consider NYC or the South or West Coast.
Texas is also nice.