Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Blenko Landscape

Dear Heart of Glass readers: If you have never been to Milton to purchase BLENKO Glass, if you have never driven in Southern West Virginia, this is what you are missing. There are times when you are, literally, higher than the clouds. On this tour, I saw a black bear, a rainbow that arched across US 19, fireworks in a night sky just north of Beckley, fireflies that hovered in trees as bright as Christmas lights, and, finally, many, many views like the one in this photo! Southern West Virginia should be declared a National Treasure! When you drive for hours and hours seeing the rolling hills, you start to appreciate the mountainous bases of the birthday pieces designed by Don Shepherd in the 1980's. This is the landscape of BLENKO!
WV Janis

Oh, those West Virginia hills, how majestic and how grand............

10 comments:

Dr.BOB said...

Janis
You and Dr Glass (Hilary) both seem to be on the political train this week.
Seeking voters in WV?

DrAnnu said...

The two of you have my vote(s).

Anonymous said...

Hillary
Thank you for responding to my request for large and dark printed words. As seniors this small act makes reading online a painless activity.
Margie Hale

Anonymous said...

Have read and caught up. Why! Everyone watches TV and if you collect Blenko, you should already know of the upcoming events. Stuff happens. All you collectors should have Blenko put you on their mail list or e-mail address so that they can notify you of their upcoming events and stop all this pointing the finger stuff. To make money you have to reach the public and it is not Hillary's job to sale their Blenko for them. She gets paid nothing, she is just a lover of Blenko glass and Wild Wonderful WV. At least our state is floating above water, thanks to all the smokers,paying all the taxes and putting up with not being able to light up anywhere so yes we do love WV. There are somethings about WV that we cannot control, only if I could it would be teaching people how to talk without putting anyone down. That is simple gossip and being mean. Then I ask what is wrong with some of you. Want the cake and to be feed too. Most from WV are suriviors, or we would not be here. We are like Blenko, up for awhile and then pushed down for awhile. So that is life. The mushrooms are nice, only I would like them to look like a mushroom that you can eat. Those remind me of the poison ones, I think of teaching the art of mushroom hunting, those murriels. Yummy!. I have clay ones in my flower garden that looks like the ones you eat. A new idea. They sale alot of them.Check them out in Marmet, WV. Well got to go Happy Bithaday to Mr. Copley. God Bless! Say a prayer its Sunday. Roxie

lewisphddvm said...

My vote is a given for both these ladies.
What ofice?
Ambassador of State?

Anonymous said...

Photo of Leslie and Christian blowing glass at Blenko in todays Charleston Gzette I'm emailing it to you.
Ted

Anonymous said...

Is the photo computer generated?

Heart of Glass said...

Annonymous
I believe WVJanis took the photo with a digital camera.
Perhaps she'll see this and comment.

WV Janis said...

RE: PHOTOGRAPHY:

All of the photos I share are taken with a Nikon D80 (digital). I try very hard to leave them as untouched as possible. Sometimes I do crop, adjust the exposure, or push the contrast a little bit. However, I do not photoshop in clouds or alter the image extensively.

As time permits, I send Hillary photographs to have in-hand in case she needs something to post. It just so happens that she posted them close together so my presence is as condensed as my absence was stretched out!

RE: POSITIVE ATTITUDE:

On blogs, we have the power to construct identities that do not necessarily match our "in person" personalities. I am not as glowingly optimistic and upbeat in person. However, the more I search for beauty behind the lens of a camera, the more I seem to find it in my everyday life.

RE: HILLARY'S BIRTHDAY

My guess is that Hillary is a Leo, although she seems to have much more of a Virgo personality. Maybe she will tell!

RE: ROXIE'S MUSINGS

Roxie, I love the comment that West Virginians are like Blenko, "up for a while then pushed down for a while."

RE: MUSHROOMS

Peace, man!

Heart of Glass said...

Janis
I'm on the cusp the 23rd.
Not a Leo!
Dr Bob
I think neither WVJanis nor I will be entering political arena.
Margie
Larger print is now a goal, somedays I forget, keep reminding me.
hjh
8/12 19:45 am