Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Monday, October 19, 2009

California Find -

OK - I retyped this four times - let me know if this works! My apology to Diane also a big Thank You for the great photos and informative script. hjh


I stopped by a big mega-booth antique mall on the off chance a couple of weeks ago, and found the following two pieces: #6418 decanter in Olive Green, made from 1964 through 1969. That design and color were in the catalog all those years, so it could have been made at any point during that time frame. Pina’s 2000 book price is listed between $100 and $150, this was tagged at $125, but was on a 30% off due to damage to the base of the stopper, so my price was $87.50. The damage is a fairly significant chip, but does not show when displayed. I was willing to accept the damage to the stopper for two reasons; I don’t have one of these decanters, and the body of the decanter is in beautiful condition. I plan to get in touch with Wayne Montano (http://www.montanosglassrepair.com/), and get the stopper repaired. He’s done work on my Blenko before, and I’ve never been disappointed. #9605 vase in Amethyst, 8.5” tall, made from 1996 through 1998. Original price was $10, Pina’s 2002 book price is listed as the same as catalog price. It was tagged at $19.95, less 30%, so I paid $14. It’s in very good condition, no water staining, scratches or chips, and I don’t have one of these, so to me, it was worth the price. This past week, I stopped in to my local antique mall. There, I found the 6224 L decanter in tangerine. The green one is an older purchase, but I show it for comparison on sizes. The smaller one was made through 1968, the larger one only through 1966. The 6224 S is 7 ½” tall, and is listed between $40 and $50 in Pina’s 2000 book. I don’t remember what I paid for it, but am pretty sure it was no more than half of book price. The 6224 L is 10 3/8” tall, and books between $70 and $80 in Pina’s book. I paid $29 for it. That’s always the kicker – what is it worth to you? There will always be the “steals,” such as Blenko Bruce’s 99 cent steal, or a lady I know in Texas whose father picked up a large original genie decanter in tangerine for 50 cents at a yard sale. Bottom line should be - Do you like the piece and the color and the condition? If it fits your budget, add it to your collection
.Diane
8:00 AM, October 16, 2009

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

....Happy Diwali ...how did you celebrate it ?,,,Its new year for Gujarati people (me!!!) today

Anonymous said...

The photos deserve to be seen 3 or 5 times.
Diana inspires me. I don't have a lucky eye like Bruce, I now armed with my books go shopping for unlabeled Blenko.
Della

Anonymous said...

It works!!!!

Dr.BOB said...

Diane
You are my wife's idol.
Your clever solutions to problems and your cut and dry methods are now mantras for the wife.

buckndi said...

I live to serve...glad I could be of assistance.

Heart of Glass said...

Thank you!