Title

Heart of Glass - Blenko Glass

Blenko Glass is a West Virginia treasure that spans generations. Nothing symbolizes the state of West Virginia better or more beautifully than Blenko Glass. We will discuss current and former craftsmen and designers and how important it is that Blenko and West Virginia glass be appreciated and valued by the younger generation.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Rainbow Glass

Readers always email me to comment on WVJanis' photos. Thank you WVJanis this colorful photo of WV Glass. hjh Text is corrected - Blogger doesn't handle cut and paste - some day Hillary will remember what Blogger likes and dislikes.
Hillary: Here is a photo I took at the West Virginia Museum of American Glass in Weston, WV. The glass museum is WELL worth a visit. When I was there recently, Dean Six and some others (board members??? volunteers???) were cataloging a recent acquisition, a donation of 500 pieces of glass. Daunting, to say the least! If you are at the age where you are downsizing, this museum is a great place to send your glass. People like me can go and spend hours looking and learning.

The glass in the photo is not Blenko but a Blenko cousin, Rainbow Glass. Rainbow Glass was located in Huntington, WV. According to the Blenko Glass Collector's Website (The Blenko Four), Rainbow Glass was founded in 1940 and existed in some form until 1973 when it was sold to Viking Glass. Great colors, creativity, I love the glass that has the white on it.

WV Janis

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ia the blogger malfunctioning?
I ask
because
#1 my comments are not showing also Lewis is having the same problem.
#2 some days you are having 3 -4
post and as a resident I am certain you don't have this kind of time.
FYI
Fix it!
Sol

Anonymous said...

West Virginia Jan
If you weren't married, I would propose. Your photos and prose
win my heart.
The photos usually end up on the bulletin board outside my waiting room.
Conversation starters always.
Thank you for capturing the beauty of American glass.
Sol

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

Dear All: Somehow the text didn't arrive with this photo. It was taken at the Museum of American Glass in Weston, WV and is Rainbow glass (as seen by the little sign in the corner). Rainbow, in Huntington, is a cousin of Blenko. According to the website of the Blenko Four, Rainbow was founded in 1940 and existed in some form or another until 1973 when it was sold to Viking Glass.

On the day I was at the museum in Weston, Dean Six was there cataloging a recent donation to the museum-- 500 pieces of glass!

Glad you like the pics Sol.

Dr.BOB said...

Add my name to the list of
fans of WVJanis.

Heart of Glass said...

Sol
Only comments about Blenko Glass or WV or American Glass are published. Your comments are rejected frequently.
Blogger & I are having a publishing date issue soon to be corrected.
hjh
Dr Bob
We're all WVJanis fans!

Mikki Vinton said...

My name is Mikki Vinton. I have been looking for some information on the Rainbow Glass company as I have one of there pieces still with their label on it. Where can I go to find out all of the information that I need in order to get it appraised for insurance purposes? If someone could email me back at rockymtnhi2009@live.com I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for all of your great information you have listed.